What does it take to become a disciple-making church? Dr. Thom Rainer's research shows these common traits:
- The church has an entry point class that all new members attend
- Members are expected to attend an open group Bible study
- Members are expected to be involved in one or more deeper studies throughout the year
- Members are expected to attend a corporate worship service each week
- Members are expected to be involved in at least one ministry or mission activity a year
- Members are expected to read and study the Bible daily
It is not unusual to hear objections when we present this research.“If I led my church to have these high expectations of members,” the argument goes, “we would have a mass exodus.” But our research shows just the opposite. Higher expectations get more positive behavioral patterns. People want to be a part of something that makes a difference.