I've kept a journal off and on since my senior year in high school. It's hilarious looking back on the things I wrote. Here's one example of what I mean taken from one of my prayers:
Lord, I know I can't make it without you by my side, so please help me to believe in myself and live out this great adventure of life. ~ March 9, 1994.
Funny, huh? Senior year is when God saved me, and this entry shows how I was beginning to take baby steps as a new Christian. Since then I've kept about 20 other journals filled with my thoughts, prayers, and things I learned from the Bible.
Here's 7 reasons why I journal: (feel free to add to this list if you journal)
- Journaling helps me clarify my thoughts about God and life
- Journaling helps me see direct answers to prayer and increases my faith
- Journaling reveals God's sovereign grace on my life over the years
- Journaling is an outlet to express my joy and pain
- Journaling reveals the spiritual journey God is taking me on
- Journaling helps me apply God's Word as I write down what I'm learning
- Journaling reminds me of where I've been and where I want to be