Tim Chester, in his excellent book, You Can Change, lists some great questions to discern if your church is a community of grace, and thus attractive to broken, needy sinners.
- Are people open about their sin or is there a culture of pretending?
- Is community life messy or sanitized?
- Are broken people attracted to your community?
- Is conflict out in the open or is it suppressed?
- Are forgiveness and reconciliation actively pursued?
- Do you constantly return to the cross in your conversation, prayers and praise?
As many C & E (Christmas and Easter) Christians enter our doors over the next couple weeks, will they see us as real people worshiping a real Savior? Will they enter a community of grace?
Here's a video by Tim Chester describing his book, You Can Change (that I highly recommend).