This is a stirring post for parents who wonder why their kids are apathetic about the Church. No doubt there are many reasons why young people are leaving the Church, but I think Scott Linscott is right on when he says, "When I look for someone to blame I head into the restroom and look into a mirror. Yupp, there he is. I blame him. That parent looking back at me is where I have to start." Here are his 5 Keys to Making Your Kids Apathetic About Faith:
- Put academic pursuits above faith-building activities.
- Chase the gold ball first and foremost.
- Teach your kid that the dollar is almighty.
- Refuse to acknowledge that the primary motivating force in kids’ lives is relationship.
- Model apathy in your own life.
I encourage you to check out how he fleshes out each one of these here.
(HT: Pete Scribner)